From the Campaign to re-elect Rep. Don Manzullo (R., 16th District)…
Manzullo continues to sweep conservative endorsements 11-0
[WASHINGTON] – Gun Owners of America, a national conservative group founded 37 years ago to defend the 2nd Amendment rights of gun owners, has endorsed Congressman Don Manzullo (R-IL) for re-election over his opponent, Congressman Adam Kinzinger (R-IL). This latest endorsement gives Manzullo an 11-0 sweep in conservative group endorsements over Kinzinger.
“Don Manzullo has been a faithful defender of the 2nd Amendment during his entire public career. He has received an A rating from Gun Owners for his defense of our rights,” said Larry Pratt, Executive Director of Gun Owners of America. “The Gun Owners of America strongly endorses Don Manzullo for re-election.”
Manzullo, a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment rights of Americans to keep and bear arms, recently wrote a letter to Illinois House leaders asking them to oppose gun control legislation working its way through the Illinois General Assembly and instead join our other 49 states and enact viable conceal carry legislation.
“Illinois already has some of our nation’s strictest firearms laws. These new bills are nothing but an assault on the Constitutionally protected right to bear arms,” Manzullo said. “I’m grateful and honored that the Gun Owners of America have watched my strong 2nd Amendment voting record closely and rewarded me with their endorsement.”
In addition to Gun Owners of America, Manzullo has been endorsed by:
- Illinois Tea Party
- FreedomWorks PAC
- RedState Editor and CNN political contributor Erick Erickson
- Family-PAC federal
- Eagle Forum of Illinois
- Illinois Federation for Right to Life PAC
- Illinois Citizens for Life federal PAC
- 60 Plus Association (boasts more than 7 million conservative senior activists)
- Illinois Conservatives (4,000 conservatives across Illinois under 35 years old)
- The Madison Project (national pro-life, pro-family group)
Conservative groups are lining up behind Manzullo because they know he is the only candidate in the race who is serious about cutting wasteful Washington spending, balancing the budget, and paying down the national debt. In fact, Manzullo voted last year 79 more times than Kinzinger to cut $209 billion more in spending than Kinzinger. In addition, Manzullo voted for the only budget alternative that would have cut $9.1 trillion in spending and balanced the budget within 10 years. Kinzinger voted against the bill.
The huge disparities in voting records have also caught the eyes of the national groups that rate Members of Congress on their willingness to cut spending. Those conservative ratings based on votes from the 2011 Congressional session include:
- American Conservative Union lifetime scores: Manzullo 96, Kinzinger 72.
- Club for Growth: Manzullo 85, Kinzinger 56
- Heritage Action for America: Manzullo 84, Kinzinger 63.
- Americans for Prosperity: Manzullo A+, Kinzinger B.
- National Journal (conservative composite score): Manzullo 74, Kinzinger 58