-By Warner Todd Huston
Liberal Illinois is one of the most inhospitable states for Constitutional rights in America and because of that and other considerations yet another gun manufacturer is closing up shop in the Land of Lincoln and fleeing to a neighboring state.
Lewis Machine & Tool Company–known as LMT–has been in Milan, Illinois since it was founded 33 years ago. The company produces rifles for both the civilian market, the military, and law enforcement agencies.
But now that business owner Karl Lewis wants to expand he is logically moving his company to a better state.
Lewis is headed to Davenport, Iowa.
This move makes perfect sense. Milan, Illinois is just south of Davenport in the northwestern corner of Illinois. So, it won’t be a big distance to travel and likely many of the company’s Illinois employees can continue working for LMT with, perhaps, a bit longer commute.
Whatever the case, the mayor of Milan is sad to be losing a taxpaying, long-term business.
“We here in Illinois have fought this for quite some time about attracting businesses,” Mayor Duane Dawson said. “It’s very difficult t o get manufacturers to come to this state.”
No doubt. In fact, Illinois ranks as the worst of the worst in nearly every single metric that makes a successful state.
Here are just a few of the “low lights” of Illinois’ standing among the states:
- Illinois has the most underfunded pensions in the country and faces a deficit growth of $17 million per day.
- The state also has the worst funded teachers pensions in the country.
- Illinois was identified as one of the worst states in the union for its oppressive, jobs-killing lawsuit climate
- Illinois had more home foreclosures than almost every other state.
- Illinois ranks as the 49th worst debtor state in the nation.
- Illinois was ranked the 48th worst state for business.
- Illinois ranked 48th for unemployment making it among the worst five states for joblessness.
- Its government also has one of the worst rankings for state transparency and accountability in the nation, too.
- As to big city stats, Chicago tops the nation with the highest unemployment rate.
- Illinois has the worst credit rating
- Illinois Tops Nation in Growth of Food Stamp Recipients
- Mercatus: Illinois ranks at the bottom of the most free states
And all that doesn’t even include the complete disdain that Illinois politicians have for their citizens’ Constitutional right to self protection, the very business in which LMT trades.
So, good for LMT for fleeing the putrid state of ILLinois. It is a good move and one more businesses are choosing every day.